Sunday, November 15, 2009

Part 2 Review on Concealers

This is the part 2 of the post on my review on foundations and concealers. Part 1, review on foundations, can be found here.

In the past few months I have tested 20+ concealers (old post on my favorite concealers). As I am getting older the area under my eye is getting darker. The two most essential items in my concealer regime are:

1. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream ($45!!!)

This is a rather expensive eye cream, but instead for buying 15 cheaper creams that just did not work for me, I chose to splurge and get this. I had tried samples of this cream in the past and I adored it. So when Nieman Marcus had a one day 20% off sale I snapped this baby up. Again, this cream works for me, but it may not work for you, so please try a sample before spending your hard earned money.
2. Bobbi Brown Corrector ($22)

As I will discuss below, and in my previous post I have tried a number of concealers. Many came close to perfection, but something was always missing. Then I found the Bobbi Brown correctors and my hunt for the perfect concealer ended. I tried samples of the corrector in Peach and Dark Peach. While Dark Peach was good, it was too golden for my neutral undertones. The shade Dark Bisque is perfect for me (if you are the same skin color as me but have golden undertones, try Dark Peach).


  • Kat Von D Tattoo Concealer in Almond - $25. Love the coverage of this concealer. Try it if you have very dark circles. The texture is lighter than the MUFE concealer, but I find it much easier to blend, and Almond is a great match for me.








  • Bobbi Brown Concealer in Honey, Golden - $22. Not a bad concealer, but if I use it with the Bobbi Brown eye cream and the corrector it gets too greasy for me. I tried numerous times to blend it and set the concealer with powder but it always ends up settling in the fines lines under my eye.



  • Amazing Cosmetics in Tan - $28. The jury is still out on this one. I cant make up my mind if I like it or not. It's more of a corrector than a concealer in my opinion since this shade has strong pink undertones.You definately need to apply a yellow based concealer over it or the undereye area looks a bit off and ashy.



  • It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye in Tan - $24. This concealer also has salmon undertones like the Amazing concealer. But the color is not as pink so you can wear it as a concealer. While the coverage is kick ass, unfortunately it creases like crazy. I tried wearing it without any eye cream, a very tiny pin prick amount, setting it immediately with powder but nothing worked:( I will try it again this winter when my skin is drier, will post an update.



With this I end the rather long post on my experience with various concealers. Which concealer is your favorite?

5 comments:

Syna said...

As always ..great post!!I am always looking for a great concealer and your review helps a lot..will definitely try the Dior concealer now...

I am using Eve pearl concealer in tan for my purplish under eye circles..while this covers the dark circles well it also stays put on my very oily skin..Need something to follow it and for touch ups during the day..What are your thoughts on YSL touche eclat?

...An Eye Makeup Addicts Blog... said...

I tried YSL in toffee, #4 I think. Its a lovely highlighter, but as a concealer its too light for my needs. How is the eve pearl coverage? If you are happy with that then YSL may work...BTW, I have been dying to try the eve pearl salmon concealer. Should I splurge and get it?

Rima Kaur said...

wow, it must have cost you a bomb, buying all these concealers and trying them out!

Syna said...

Eve pearl's coverage is pretty good...its quite thick ,opaque, it does look salmony if used alone (thats why m looking for a light highlighter like ysl) but it zaps away the purple under my eyes...

Do note that it is difficult to blend so i use a wet brush/sponge to blend but ..works best with a liquid fdtn , might look blahh with powder fdtn. It does not crease or sink in the lines..

I was apprehensive too to splurge on this but its better that buying several ones that dont work right ..I only own this concealer for undereyes so not an expert but i did consult fellow indian MUA ers with similiar undereye issues before i caved it. hope this helps..

yummy411 said...

great post! i totally agree with the bobbi brown concealer. i have to mix it with mac's studio finish concealer to make it not as creamy =( Victoria's Secret new concealer palette is pretty nice. stiff creamy texture... applies and stays put! ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails